Internal sliding steel doors are a popular choice for homeowners and businesses alike, offering a sleek and modern look while providing durable and secure protection.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of sliding steel doors, how they can be customised to suit different styles and needs, and some of the considerations to keep in mind when selecting and installing sliding steel doors.
Benefits of Internal Sliding Steel Doors
Sliding steel doors offer a range of functional and practical benefits, including:
- Durability: Steel is one of the strongest and most durable materials available, making sliding steel doors an ideal choice for high-traffic areas, or environments where security is a primary consideration. Fabco sliding steel doors are galvanised and polyester powder coated making them extremely durable and protecting the door from internal and external elements that might wear it down over time.
- Energy efficiency: At Fabco, we use high-performing Krypton gas-filled double-glazed units and silicone glazing that help us achieve a thermal performance rating of B – this is industry-leading in slimline sliding steel doors and windows.
- Minimal maintenance: Unlike wood doors, which require regular painting and staining, steel doors are virtually maintenance-free. They are also resistant to warping and splitting, which can be common issues with wood doors.
- Aesthetically-pleasing: Sliding steel doors can add a modern and stylish touch to any property, complementing a range of architectural styles. The 1920’s Art Deco-inspired look goes particularly well with exposed brickwork and Parquet-style flooring.
Customising Your Internal Sliding Steel Doors
Sliding steel doors can be customised to suit the specific needs and preferences of your home or business. Some options to consider include:
- Glass panels: Adding glass panels to your sliding steel doors can allow natural light to enter your space and enhance the overall look of the doors. At Fabco, you can choose from a range of glass types to suit your needs, including clear, obscured, reeded, and acoustic glazing.
- Hardware finishes: The hardware on your sliding steel doors, such as the handles, can be finished in a variety of colours to match your existing décor. We offer six such styles, including Satin Brass, Satin Chrome, Antique Brass, Matt Black, Satin Nickel, and Dark Matt Bronze. View our selection of available handle styles here.
- Pockets: Sliding steel doors can be supplied with pocket systems, which allow you to seamlessly keep the sense of space when doors are open. Here, instead of opening outwards, the door slides into the pocket that is fitted within the wall cavity and completely hidden from view. Pocket doors can come in single doors or in pairs, depending on the size of the opening.
- Colour: Although black steel sliding doors are by far the most popular option, you can choose to coat yours in a selection of RAL colours, including Green Grey, Anthracite Grey, Black Grey, Graphite Grey, Grey Brown, Signal Black, Jet Black, Graphite Black, and Traffic White. View our selection of RAL colours here.
Selecting and Installing Internal Sliding Steel Doors
When selecting and installing sliding steel doors, there are a few important considerations to keep in mind:
- Measurements: It’s crucial to get accurate measurements of your door opening to ensure that your sliding steel doors fit properly. You’ll also want to consider any obstructions, such as trim or moulding, that may affect the door’s movement.
- Door type: There are two main types of sliding steel doors: pocket doors and bypass doors. Pocket doors slide into a pocket in the wall, while bypass doors slide past one another. Choose the type that best fits your space and needs.
- Installation: Sliding steel doors are typically heavy, so it’s important to have them installed by professionals to ensure that they are properly supported and aligned. Our expert installation team are on-hand to install almost anywhere in the UK, meaning that you can enjoy your sliding doors as they were intended, without having to worry about removal of existing doors or installation.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance, such as lubricating the tracks and hinges, can help keep your sliding steel doors functioning smoothly.
In summary, sliding steel doors offer a range of benefits, including durability, energy efficiency, and minimal maintenance. They can be customised to suit your specific needs and preferences, and proper selection and installation are crucial for optimal performance.